- Community Services
- Golf Cart Information
Golf Cart Information
The City of Kemah is a fantastic area to enjoy a golf cart ride with friends and family. It's no secret that residents and visitors use this method of transportation to explore our city and be a part of our year round events and activities, including parades.
Below you will find a list of things you should be aware of concerning the safety, rules, and regulations surrounding the use of your golf cart:
- A golf cart is a motor vehicle designed by the manufacturer primarily for use on a golf course.
- The TxDMV does not title and register golf carts, but they must display a license plate when operated on roads authorized by the city or county. A license plate is required if you travel outside of the city or cross a state highway, such as FM 518.
- To request and obtain a golf cart license plate, take the following to your county tax assessor-collector’s office:
- Form 130-U (Found here)
- Evidence of ownership
- Proof of insurance
- Driver's License
- Remember: While golf carts don’t require insurance to register them, they do require insurance to be operated on the roadway. You will need the make, model, year, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to register your golf cart with your insurance company, and you must carry the insurance with you!
- Golf carts may be operated only by persons with a valid driver’s license.
Golf Carts must have the following minimum equipment:
- Tail lights
- Parking brake
- Slow-moving vehicle emblem (If operated on the roads at a speed of 25 mph or less)
These regulations also apply to ATVs, ROVs, and UTVs. You can find the guidelines for golf carts and other low-speed vehicles at www.txdmv.gov under the unique vehicles tab.